Thursday, December 31, 2020

A Year in Review

Raise your hand if you are thrilled to see 2020 end?! I certainly am, but I am feeling grateful for the journey. For me, 2020 was a year of growth. I am very aware that I am more fortunate than most, but the highs and lows of the year in a pandemic were just as hard. Here are my most memorable moments of 2020, both joyful and difficult. 
January started my year of picking up trash on the coast. Syd got me a trash picker for Christmas, and it turned out to be the best gift ever. I lost track of how many buckets of trash I picked up a long the beach and in Moss Beach, but it must have been over 100. At one point I was filling four buckets a weekend with my Dad. It felt good to do something small and easy for the environment, and what was most surprising was how other people would say thank you when they saw me. Syd’s gift is truely a gift that keeps giving. (I now have three pickers and two buckets, so friends feel free to come join!)

In February I traveled with the Mercy Cheer team to nationals in Las Vegas. We made many memories of them performing on the big stage with hundreds of other teams. It is hard to believe that Vegas was the last place I traveled and airplane I flew on. 

In March, I think everyone’s world changed forever when the Covid-19 pandemic shut everything down. If you had asked me if it were possible to run a school from home before March, I would have laughed and said it was impossible. Well, we did it, and Mercy’s Distance Learning program hasn’t skipped a beat. We are fortunate for many reasons (our students having access to technology and WiFi, is a major one), but our Admin team had the foresight to pilot distance learning in November of 2019 because we wanted to have something in place if we had to shelter in place because of the fires and smoke in California. We had no idea that we would be in quarantine for the remainder of the school year, but because we had practiced, our teachers and students were prepared. 

I love working from home. I haven’t worn pants without an elastic waist or buttons in months, and makeup is certainly a thing of the past for me too. Not having a commute has been awesome, and given Syd and I more time to enjoy Moss Beach and go for walks in the morning. I know too, that being able to stay home is a privilege, and I am so grateful for my family’s health and financial situation. My heart goes out to those who have been effected by Covid and I hope the vaccine offers relief soon. 

In April, I mustered up the courage to go through my mother’s clothes and boxes that have been sitting in my parent’s garage since 2002. With more free time, I was able to do more processing and grieving, and I felt called to see what I would find in those boxes. To my surprise, or maybe not a surprise too, I found my mother. Her clothes are exactly how I remembered them, even with my old cat, Gypsy’s hair on them. Dad, Syd, and Kristin were there for support while going through my mom’s things and it is a day I will never forget. 

By May, Syd and I caved and needed quarantine haircuts. Lindsay facilitated the process (don’t worry, she is in our pod!) because I had never cut anyone’s hair before!

After a stressful virtual graduation season for the Class of 2020, Ryan and I welcomed summer in June! This was one of my favorite days in the summer when RR drove me to Purisima and we found a spot by the creek to sit. She drew in her sketch book and I had planned to write, but instead I watched her draw. I am so happy we were able to have some sister time. 

We celebrated Dad’s 70th birthday in July, Covid style, at home. I had more time to bake this year, and this is one of many pies I baked, trying to perfect my crust making method. My secret is a Grout secret to pies, vinegar. 

August was a real rollercoaster for me. Mercy was hopeful we would be able to open in person, so there was lots of planning to get ready. I was feeling pretty anxious about going back to in person learning on campus every day with Covid cases still rising, and I even had a panic attack and had to take some mental health days. After three months of planning, the County advised against opening schools in person, and we quickly changed all of our plans on a dime. I felt a huge sigh of relief because the weight of 400 student’s and 65 faculty and staff member’s health and safety was very heavy.

This photo is RR and I’s non-traditional first day of school photo, at the ranch, instead of in the mansion wearing a Mercy uniform. 

This is definitely NOT the most pretty picture of me, but this was my reality in September. I fainted one night while going to the bathroom and suffered from a concussion and neck injury. I spent all of September in bed with a headache. I was tired all the time and really foggy, I didn’t have any energy to leave the house or walk around the block. Syd and Arthur were there to support me, and also my dad and Kristin. I am so grateful for them.

My biggest takeaway from 2020 is learning to rest and give myself self love. I didn’t have a choice, my body wouldn’t let me do anything, and with a brain injury, all you can do is give yourself time. I couldn’t look at screens, so I took leave from work since school was all on the computer. I struggled staying still, because I didn’t feel like I was contributing to my family and work, and that made me question my self worth. With the help of my therapist, I started repeating to myself and also journaling about why I am enough. I am enough because I care. I am enough because I value my health. I am enough because I am loved. This helped me allow myself to rest and recover.
We had beautiful fall weather in October, so Syd and Lindsay set up the blow up air mattresses outside so I could rest in the sun. I wore a lot of sunscreen and listened to a lot of audiobooks outside on our deck while I recovered. Everyday, my headaches improved, even though it felt like the slowest process ever! 

For a week after the election in November, I kept my Biden Harris shirt and pearls, honoring RBG, on while they counted all the mail in ballots. I was so nervous about the election, but in the end, so many people rallied to vote against hate and racism and we elected a new president and the first ever female Vice President. It was history that brought tears to both mine and Syd’s eyes when they gave their acceptance speeches. I will never forget Kamala Harris taking the stage in all white like the sufferagettes. Activism for a cause you care about works!

I also came back to life in November, and was able to go back to work. I am making decisions out of self love now, and setting more boundaries to protect my time and mental health. I made so much progress while I was healing, I refuse to back slide, and want to stay healthy. 

The holidays in December were peaceful and quiet. Syd and I decorated our house and my favorite part was the creation of Santa Whale! He brought joy to many people in Moss Beach. I saw at least one person per day taking a photo of him when they walked by. 

This year has been a lot. The best perspective is our health is everything, so wear a mask and be courteous to other people. I really missed traveling and seeing our friends and family this year. I feel hopeful for 2021, but also cautious because there is still more work to do (go vote, Georgia!).

Happy New Year! Let’s continue to grow, love ourselves, and love one another!

1 comment: