Today was our last day in Lima, and it has been an long day! Our flight leaves at 1:50am, so we don’t head to the airport for another few hours.
Syd got to surf again this morning. He has officially crossed South America off his list of places to surf. Surfing all over the world, as we say. 
We had walked by these fried donut street food for the last two days, and I finally got in line to try them. They looked and smelled more delicious than they tasted. I was surprised when the syrup poured on it was actually molasses! I could only stomach one.
Syd made a cat friend in the park while waiting for the street food. 
While we traveled, dined, and stayed in luxury on this trip, I want to acknowledge our privilege because this is NOT how most of the country lives. It is a modest country and we saw many people with a lot less means than us. I am glad we could do a small part in bringing tourism and business to the towns we stayed in.
Things that were challenging for me, the water. You can’t drink it here and so we used bottled water for brushing teeth. I was very nervous when showering that I would accidentally drink some. 
The bathrooms were also a wild card. Sometimes there was toilet paper, sometimes there wasn’t. The TP was sometimes outside the stall and if you didn’t grab some before going in, you were out of luck. I also felt like people were silently judging how much out grabbed before going into the stall. 
In the Cusco airport, I grabbed my TP, but then the lady after me grabbed the last piece. I felt bad for everyone else in line behind her… I also have to mention you can’t out the paper in the toilet. You have to throw it in the trash can and that is an experience in itself.
I wasn’t sure why most of the buildings had rebarb sticking out of the top, but someone explained to me that people can usually afford to build one story if their house/building at a time, but they always plan for the next story. A lot of the buildings look unfinished like this. 
Traveling opens your eyes and heart to new things and I am so grateful we were able to go in this trip. The colors, food, and archeology were amazing and we met a lot of nice people. If you have the chance to travel to Peru, do it!
And now, I can’t wait to be home to see Arthur. We miss him.
No comments:
Post a Comment