Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Museo- Underwater Museum

About ten years ago in 2009, people in Cancun started worrying about their coral reef. With all of the tourists, they noticed the coral was dying and they needed to put some effort into conservation. They decided to submerge giant sculptures near the coral to generate growth as an experiment, and it worked! Coral, algee, and fish have adopted the sculptures into their ecosystem. 

The water conditions weren’t great today because of the wind and swell. We got on a boat and they took us out to the snorkel site. We were supposed to go all the way to a nearby island, but they told us the boats weren’t going today with the rough seas. Fine with me, I don’t want to risk it!





We got to a landing boat, put on our gear and jumped in the water. Our guide took us and two others out to see some of the statutes. 





I could really feel the current as we swam and was happy the guide was with us to direct the way. I saw about 6 statues in total. Syd said he only noticed two! 









We snorkeled for about 45min and then came in. Syd was really excited to join the kids in jumping off the top of the boat. 







After our snorkel adventure we went to the Surfin’ Burrito, a place that was featured on Diners, Drive in’s, and Dives on the Food Network. The place is always packed with Americans and is open 24 hours. I got the coconut shrimp that was the best I have ever had, and couldn’t resist getting a burrito to go. 




No comments:

Post a Comment