Sunday, September 9, 2012

CPR

Yesterday I took a CPR training class, and I went into it with kind of a bad attitude, but I actually learned a lot. In the past I have shied away from CPR and First Aid classes because I don't handle blood well and have a long history of fainting. This class was great because you practiced the skills over and over again, and I actually feel confident that in an emergency I could save someone (granted no bones were sticking out and there was minimal blood).

Me, taking chest compressions very seriously
In CPR we learned how to do chest compressions and also the breathing. CPR starts with 30 chest compressions and then you give the person two breaths. The teacher had us count out loud and suggested doing that in an emergency too to keep yourself calm and focused. They also showed us how to use a AED which will shock the heart to restart it. We used dummies to practice, which is kind of weird, but I am glad we practiced the entire CPR cycle numerous times so A. I remember what to do and B. I feel like I could recreate the scene.

We also learned how to do CPR on infants using two fingers for chest compressions. They showed you how to hold the baby in your strong hand if it is choking, pat it on the back to clear the airway with your other hand, and then flip that baby back over to give chest compressions, all in one fluid motion. I never imagined myself doing that. EVER. Sabrina and I joked that our baby dummy was a ballet dancing boy.
See the resemblance?


I am glad I took the class. I hope I never have to use any of the skills we learned and practice, but working at a school, and being a coach, I think it doesn't hurt to have the knowledge. If anything, I think I will feel calmer in an emergency situation because I at least have a little knowledge. If you have the opportunity, taking the CPR class is totally worth doing.

And now, I am officially trained in First Aid and CPR certified.

1 comment: