Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Year in Review

New Year's Eve 2013 and it is time to look back over my favorite moments of the year. I remember last year I wanted to make sure 2013 was my best year yet, and I am pleased to say I think I accomplished that. Month by month, this is why.



Vanessa visited me in early January and it was fun to show her around California. We spent time in both the Bay Area and in LA. V and I walked to the Rose Parade on New Year's Day and it was a perfect way to start 2013. I got to cross something off my bucket list and did it in good company.

In February my friends and I joined a kickball league and I met this guy named Sydney who was randomly added to our pink team. We hit it off the first time we met at Jake's and now I can't imagine my life without him.

Melanie joined my coaching staff in March. She is a great hitting coach and I love her competitiveness. We balance each other out on the softball field and we have become quite the coaching team.


In April my family came to SoCal for Spring Break/my birthday/Disneyland. It was a fun visit and I hadn't seen my family since the holidays. Life is busy, that's for sure! April also marked moving into a new apartment in Old Town Pasadena.

 IH graduation was in May and I watched four of my seniors walk across the stage at the Hollywood Bowl. I had coached all of these girls since their freshman year at IH and my first year coaching. In a way, I felt like I graduated too.

 In June I helped Sofia chaperone a group of students to Paris. What a whirlwind week, but I love Europe and all the fun we had was worth the exhaustion. The best part of Paris was seeing Sofia in her native land. She still has a lot of Parisian in her as we ate pain au chocolat til we dropped.
After Paris, Syd and I continued on a Euro Trip in July. We met up with Vanessa in Munich (one of our favorite cities), saw the Devils and my Swiss friends, enjoyed Italy, and beached in Nice. Syd and I had one of the best vacations ever and we talk about how much we can't wait to go back everyday.
In August I started a new chapter of my career as the Softball Program Head at Harvard-Westlake. New school, new team, and plenty of other new things to get used to, but what excited me most about my new job is all the opportunities Harvard-Westlake provides. The athletics department is incredibly supportive and it is my goal to create the strongest high school softball program in Southern California within the coming years. Go Wolverines!
 The Giants really struggled this season, and maybe it is because I didn't get to go to a game until September. I missed most of baseball season while being out of the country but I was able to see the Giants play the Dodgers at least once. Above, I am showing off my awesome Buster Posey lunchbox. How many days until baseball season?!


In October we celebrated Syd's birthday at Oktoberfest in Torrence. All of our friends came out for dancing (me) and drinking (them). It is the largest Oktoberfest in California and although it doesn't compare to the real thing, we had a blast. 



November always brings the start of the busiest time of the year. RR celebrated her 10th birthday and we all enjoyed Thanksgiving in Half Moon Bay. 

We had a cowboy Christmas in HMB. Check out dad's new hat and belt buckle. Dorffie was also a good sport with his hat too. This December has flown by. Syd and I are now home in Pasadena and excited about hosting our Rose Parade Party tomorrow.

My goal for the year was to enjoy every minute and not feel like I was losing my youth while tending my adult obligations. "Doing one thing a day that scares me" still continues to be my motto and this year it lead me to meeting Syd. I didn't realize how much another person could enhance my life and make me happy. I also never imagined that I could make a living while being a full time softball coach. I still go to work and feel amazed that I get to pitch everyday while mentoring the next generation of players. 

I am looking forward to a bright 2014. I don't have any real resolutions, but I do want to attempt to be more active and healthy, even though my life tends to get busy. As my friend V would say "Here's to growing up without growing old!" I'll be sure to document it.

Happy New Year my friends!! 


3 comments:

  1. Lucy: Claire you had a fabulous year! Thanks for letting us come along, and happy '14.

    ReplyDelete