Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Balance Beam

I have been wanting to make a balance beam for my hitters all of fall, but am just now having time to execute. Of course, the project was a lot more complicated that I anticipated! It took me two days to gather the right tools and alter my vision a little bit.

Syd helped me drill the 3 pieces of wood together. Our drill kept stripping the screws so it was kind of a frustrating process. Once the legs were secure to the bottom I wanted to cover it in carpet. The girls wear metal cleats to practice and I knew the cleats would tear up the wood on the first day and I needed something to combat that. Carpet is my long lasting solution.
Two trips to the hardware store later (I told the nice guy in the "spool room" who cut my pieces of carpet for me, that I hoped I wouldn't see him tomorrow.), I have a covered 4 foot long balance beam, perfect for hitting drills. The balance beam makes you engage your core and squeeze your legs while you hit so you don't fall off. I am so excited about it I will probably come up with some pitching drills for my balance beam too!

How many days until softball season starts? We are a week away from conditioning and 3 weeks away from team practice. Hope the rain stops in time.


1 comment: