Saturday, December 1, 2018

Spartan Race

Today I ran the Spartan Sprint at AT&T Park with my team at Empowered Fitness. Doing the Spartan was Lindsay’s idea and I said why not?! It was quite the experience.  



We showed up at 8:45 for our 10:00 start time. We met our team at the Willie Mays statue and then picked up our event packets. Everyone got a headband with our number, a number of wrist bands, and an automatic timer to wear. 





There were tons of people. You felt like you were at a ballgame. There were start times from 8:00-5:00pm every 15min, with about 100 people we start time. We estimated about 3,000 people today!!!

We checked our bags at bag check and then got in line to wait. We stretched, cheered, did squats, and pumped each other up for the race. EF had 20 people running today, but other groups were 30-40. 





The course was four miles with 20 different obstacles. We scaled walls, 6ft and 8ft tall, and ran a ton of stadiums. We got lucky with the rain because it rained while we were in line and not actually on the course, but that made the rope and the rings wet!! The rope was so slippery both Lindsay and I couldn’t climb it. We had to do 15 burpees instead. 





The hardest obstacle was carrying a 70lb medicine ball. The biggest led ball at our gym is 30lbs and this was more than double. My favorite obstacle was the hoist. We had to hoist a 70lb bag of sand up to the top of a 20foot pole. It was on a pullie, but you had to use your entire body!

I am really proud to have finished in 67 minutes! I felt prepared and at no point did I feel like I was over exherting myself or couldn’t do something, so I call it a great success! I think I am going to be pretty sore tomorrow, but no injuries, another success! 



I would do the Sprint again, but I am not sure if I would do the next level, which is 8-10 miles long with 30+ obstacles. I’d need to train pretty hardcore. 

Crossing this off the bucket list!

No comments:

Post a Comment