Friday, February 15, 2019

Acupuncture

I was happy to hear my MRI results came back with good news. Only one of my ribs is broken and there isn’t anything else going on in my rib cage. Dr. Chen told me to heal holistically, rest for four weeks, and then have another ultrasound to see the progress. I have changed my diet to a anti-inflammatory diet and am taking turmeric supplements. Hopefully, all of this helps.


Dr. Chen wanted me to try acupuncture today and it totally wasn’t what I expected. I do not like needles, I faint every time I get a shot, so I was already a little weary about the idea. He had me point to the spot where the pain was the most and then without any warning, he flicked in a little pin. It didn’t hurt, but it was definitely a surprise.


“Oh, have you never had acupuncture before?”


“Nope, first time.”


“Ok, then breath…” And then he flicked another.


What happened next was even more unexpected. He connected the two pins to a stim machine! I thought this was going to be some calming Eastern medicine, but there I was, on the table with the lights out, with my ribs vibrating. Bizarre.


“I’ll be back in 10 minutes. Just relax.”


I chilled laying on the table and, of course, I had to document the experience.




When the timer went off Dr. Chen burst back into the room smiling.


“So when are you going to have a baby?”


I gave the nurse a confused look. She also looked surprised.


“Umm, never?”


Dr. Chen was shocked.


“Be careful with that question!” I added.


I could tell the nurse knew I wasn’t amused.


The rest of the appointment was fine. I laughed off the question, got the answers I needed, and I was on my way, but I am annoyed the short sighted assumptions of the patriarchy crept into my appointment.


I am bothered by that question for a lot of reasons. One, it’s presumptuous, and I get it, he’s a doctor and gets to know some of my medical history, but that question had NOTHING to do with what I am being treated for in his office. Two, what if I was struggling with infertility or just had a miscarriage? That question could have really upset someone. Three, how insensitive can you be?! Don’t assume that because I am a women my only goal is to have children. Major eye roll.


All of these thoughts went on while having mini needles sticking out of my broken rib. 


What a weird day! I don’t think I’ll go back for the 10 session acupuncture package, but hopefully on March 18th, my rib will be healed.



1 comment:

  1. I can't believe he asked you that question! Is the acupuncturist the same person as the doctor who recommended it? If not, I would ask for a different recommendation, and tell your doctor why. That's really unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete