This afternoon I lead the second half of my coaching workshop at the ESO Softball League. Today we focused on offense. I started out with the 5 important things to think about while running to first base. Running to first base seems easy enough, but actually there are a few things to pay attention to. After getting out of the batter's box and the runner is half way down the line, they should sneak a peek at the defense to see where they hit the ball. This will allow the runner to know if they need to run through the base, or round the bag if the hit a clean base hit. Once they approach the base, it is important to step on the front part of the orange base and slightly lean forward. The reason why you lean forward is to trick the umpire into thinking you touched first base before you actually did. "Winning by a nose" mentality. After that, the runner should take 3 choppy steps to break down or stop running and then look over their right shoulder in foul territory to see if there was an over throw. Seems pretty easy, but in actuality, running to first base properly is a common mistake.
 |
| Moose in Green |
After base running, I went over hitting mechanics. I was very happy I had taken hitting lessons from Brett last summer so I felt confident in teaching how to hit. I gave all the coaches plenty of drill ideas to have their players practice specific skills.
I was impressed by the turnout of coaches again. Probably about 20 coaches came to learn the drills. Have you ever seen the show "Saved by the Bell?" I used to love that show back in the early 90's. Anyway, the actor who played Moose has a daughter who plays at ESO and he was at the field today! I didn't get a picture of him, but it was funny to see an actor at the softball field. He totally looks the same!
Good going, Coach Claire ~ I think of you often while reading the wonderful "Art of Fielding"!
ReplyDelete