Sunday, March 29, 2015

Site Seeing

Pike's Peak with Snow
This morning Syd and I mentioned that we had recently seen a TV show about the Garden of the God's a red rock formation in Colorado. Turns out Garden of the Gods is only 45 minutes away from Littleton in Colorado Springs.
The Rocky Mountains are made of granite but in this one particular place, red sedimentary rocks were pushed out of the ground. They formed these grand rock formations that are now a national park.


Each side of the rock formation looks different and it was a sacred place to the Native Americans who lived in the area. It is funny because I remember seeing pictures of this park in my Geology class in college. Who knew I would end up seeing it in real life!
For lunch we went a little further into Colorado Springs to the Broadmoor Hotel. The hotel was built in the early 1900's and it feels like you are in an old Swiss town at the foot of the Alps. The resort is built right on a lake and backs up to a golf course and mountains. It totally reminds me of the Grande Budapest Hotel in the recent movie. Same color, style, and era. Google it if you haven't seen it.

Here is Syd and I next to the lake. I am managing to wear shorts in Colorado even though it was a little chilly today in the mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment