My current team leading off the game with "You wish you were in high school!" cheer.
Our team following up with "We don't have a curfew!"
Reconnecting with old friends and teammates. There were three generations of Mercy softball players playing yesterday. Grads from the late 90's, grads from the early '00's and then recent grads. My generation decided to call ourselves the "golden age" of Mercy softball because we hard gold writing on our uni's and had yellow socks. These were not our official school colors but Coach Jim wanted us to stand out... not to mention our team's were really good during that era.
After the game we had a pot luck and everyone stayed to eat and visit. I was standing with the seniors when they had a light bulb moment and realized they would be on the alumni team next year. They were excited about coming back to play for years to come.
Last week at a tournament an opposing coach asked my assistant coach why I decided to leave Half Moon Bay High. Stacey's answer was funny. She said "she's and alum, and it is not my position to discuss her career choices." We were all a little offended by his question.
I was reminded of this yesterday after the game. To me, community is more important than championships, and for some coaches this may be hard to understand. I take pride in being apart of the Mercy community's past, present, and future. Even though high school softball ends after 4 years, it is pretty cool that we can still play on the same team as alums. I hope our new tradition of the alumni game gives my players something to look forward to for years to come. I can't wait to welcome more and more Mercy girls to our side and get to play with them as friends.
Great day. Great job.
ReplyDelete