Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Mud

The theme of today was mud. We got up early this morning to drive to a remote beach on the west side of the island. When I mapped it, Siri told me that some roads were unpacked. I didn’t think anything of it...

We had four miles to go, and we made a left turn. The road was dirt, with puddles, but it didn’t occurr to us that it had poured rain all night and the ground was not solid. We got about 200 yards down the road and decided it was too risky and we should turn around. As we did a U turn, the mud got thicker. I got out of the car to push it back down the small embankment, and we got the car turned around. After that we were stuck. Tired spinning, mud flying, and all. 

About two minutes of digging ourselves deeper into the mud, some locals pulled up in a Jeep, just like mine at home. They got out and helped by putting sticks and brush under the tires. It worked for a little, but then our tired were about 6 inches deep in mud. 

Another truck (identical to Syd’s, it’s like our car ghosts were taughting us) pulled up and suggested letting some air out of the tires. We did that and then the four of us pushed as hard as we could while Syd floors the gas pedal. 

We managed to get the car moving and didn’t want to stop. I walked the 200 yards barefoot in the mud to catch up with Syd on the pavement. I wish I was able to get some photos, but I was covered in mud. The beach, pool, and shower later I am still finding mud on me in places!!

At the time, getting our rental car stuck in the mud was a little stressful, but looking back now, it’s pretty hilarious. What were we thinking?!? We drove to the closest gas station (10 miles) and trinflated our tires.

Here is a photo of the road after the fact. 


No comments:

Post a Comment