Yesterday during Mass, one of our seniors gave a testimony that I related to wholeheartedly. She described her struggles with the recruiting process in volleyball and how the pressure and always worrying that she wasn’t good enough made her lose her love of the game. She told her story about her decision to travel with her family to her hometown in the Philippines, instead of playing club volleyball the summer before her senior season. There she was able to reconnect with her family, and get to know herself again outside the sport. She was invited to practice volleyball with two colleges there and the Filipino National team. She reluctantly took the offer, but discovered after a few practices she was falling in love with the sport again.
Fast forward to the fall volleyball season, she was playing better than ever and leading our Mercy team, and she received her first offer to play college volleyball from UC Santa Cruz.
While sitting in the church, I was blown away by our student’s experience and perspective. I am proud of her growth and it reminded me a lot of my own story with the Wil Devils in Switzerland.
When I got home, I watched my documentary for the first time in about 10 years. I smiled the whole time while revisiting all the memories. It is amazing to me how much that experience has shaped me. I am still connected to many of the people I met while playing, some I talk to everyday, and others I see on social media and try to visit when we are in Europe.
More than anything, I feel filled with gratitude. Playing for the Devils in Switzerland was an experience of a lifetime. I am thankful that I was reminded of that today.
such a wonderful post ~ thank you
ReplyDelete