Thursday, May 12, 2011

Dance With Me Audition

Blogger was down last night so I couldn't blog! It was a total disappointment because I couldn't write about my interesting morning in Hollywood, so here it goes now.

As I have mentioned many times before I take a dance class at 24 Hour Fitness called Dance With Me. The creators, Billy Blanks Jr and Sharon Cathrine Blankes, of the workout program teach the classes and they asked their students to audition to be back up dances in their up coming workout videos. They invited all of us to the audition on Facebook, and I decided to go in the spirit of "doing one thing a day that scares me."

The audition was in North Hollywood at some famous dance studio. It was a bizarre place with a combination of Asian and Ancient Egyptian themed architecture. I wish I had gotten a picture of the two Sphinxes sitting in front of the entrance.

I had no idea what to expect from an audition. I figured image was playing a big part in who they were going to pick. Usually the back up dancers in workout videos are people who appeal to a wide demographic. With that being said it took me a while to decide what to wear. After much debate, I went with black spandex capris and a blue tank top. Sporty, but put together.

When I got to the studio, I was about 30 min early. The halls were already full of people and it became VERY clear to me that NO, they were not looking for their students to be in the videos, they wanted professional dancers and invited the students as a courtesy. All the people brought headshots and resumes (I brought those too by my head shot was just a picture of me that I printed out at Target), and were talking about where they were auditioning the next day. It was a total scene of struggling people in show biz who were just trying to book the next job. I immediately recognized some people I knew from class, so I hung out with them. It was funny because after much debate over what I was going to wear, turns out my friend and I matched!

The audition happened in a large dance room. It was packed with about 50-60 people, and probably 10 people who were from the dance classes like me. My plan was just to smile and look like I have having a good time. If I got the dance right, great, but whatever if I didn't.

As soon as the director came in (the director of Dancing with the Stars and The Biggest Loser... can't remember his name) people went crazy trying to get a spot where they would be noticed. There were quite a few characters in the room, which is to be expected in Hollywood, I guess. Bizarre outfits, big hair, and these people could DANCE. The director taught us a 32 count hip-hop dance routine (very short) and then divided the group to be judged. I was a little surprised at this because I figured we would be doing something from the Dance With Me Workouts, but luckily from ballet, I am used to watching and picking up dance steps I have never done before quickly.

My group was the first to dance and had about 15 people. Not sure how I ended up in that group, but I usually like going first at things. We did the dance about 5 times and after the fourth the director with the help of Billy and Sharon, picked 4 people who made it to the next round. I was not one of those people, which I wasn't bummed about or surprised at all.

The audition process was interesting to see and I had fun dancing. I am glad I went just to say that I did. I can now check Hollywood audition off my bucket list. I am curious to watch the workout videos now when they come out because I had some favorites from the audition and I wonder if they made it.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you went, that was a valuable experience. But it's a little rude of the people who invited you to waste your time. Pretty arrogant. But it was valuable to see "Hollywood come out of the woodwork. Cool for that alone.

    ReplyDelete