Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What A Day

IH beat Notre Dame today 10-1, which was total payback after losing to them two weeks ago. Funny thing is, the win totally isn't my topic of conversation for this blog post because OTHER crazy things happened with the team before the game even started... I totally felt like a single mom with 16 children to take care of today.

(Warning, this might get a little graphic.)

The game this afternoon was about an hour away from school. I usually sit in front of the bus while the girls hang out in the back. Ten minutes into the bus ride, Kaylan (my first basemen and big hitter), said "Coach Claire, can I sit with you? I am not feeling well."

I totally didn't think anything of it at the time because Kaylan gets car sick every bus ride, but she usually take Dramamine to help the queeziness. Unfortunately today she forgot to take it and 5 minutes later I hear, "Coach, do you have a bag, I think I am going to throw up." OH MAN.

I scrambled around all my coaching stuff (three bags worth of stuff) to find a large ziplock bag and I hand it to Kaylan. I also managed to find napkins and a bottle of water. I turn around and Kaylan had already thrown up into the bag without making ANY kind of noise. No one on the team even noticed. I hand her the water and she smiles and says "OMG, I feel so much better." I am telling you, huge smile on her face. She then zipped the bag and asked for a piece of gum.

This girl is a champ. No crying, complaining, or ANYTHING, despite feeling sick. Usually when I throw up it is a big production and I can't function for the rest of the day. Kaylan was so put together she volunteered to pose for the picture.

Fifteen minutes later, when we are almost to the field, Forever Freshman Jen, askes "Hey Kaylan, I heard a rumor on the bus that you threw up."

"Jen, you are late to the party, we are wayyy past that now."

Hahahah. Classic.

BTW, Kaylan had an awesome game today on an empty stomach. She had two hits, including a bases clearing double.

Once we finally reached the field and disposed of the full ziplock bag, we had our usual warm up. We were playing at a park in a neighborhood that is not necessarily a part of town I would hang out in on a regular basis. Along the right field line was a drunk bum laying on the ground, half passed out under a tree. My team and I ignored him, and he seemed harmless with his yappy dog tied to a tree. No big deal, public park.

We started to take infield and I didn't realize that the bum was right behind us. The infielders were warming up great until a throw went a little bit high. BAM... right into the bum's neck!! I wasn't sure what to do, because Marissa had nailed him square in the back, and it was kinda funny, and kinda NOT, at the same time. The girls were stunned and then the bum, like a switch got flipped and he came to life, stood up, started jumping up and down and yelling some crazy profanities. Coach Brett hadn't shown up yet, so I was a little nervous the guy was going to come attack us, but luckily one of the dads was there and he walked over to defend us (I guess I should have remembered that I was holding a bat.. hmm).

The guy didn't come too close to us, but that was definitely an experience. I never imagined I would have to protect my players from drunk people, but as a coach it seems like I need to expect the unexpected.

Note to self: Next time we warm up, steer clear of passed out drunks in the park.

What a day. Good thing we won, because the pre-game was very unorthodox. We are now 3-2 in league and are in a three way tie for first place with 3 games left. My goal is to have a good day of practice tomorrow and break that tie with a win on Thursday.

GO HEART!


No comments:

Post a Comment