Today was the first day of Middle School softball. I helped out at practice because Bri is a new coach and I wanted her to feel supported. Neither of us had any idea what level the players would be at but it actually went better than expected. The girls were really enthusiastic and eager to learn.
I started practice by telling the middle school team that the point of the team is to learn the basics and prepare them for high school softball. I explained to them that they could set the goal for themselves to make the varsity team as a 9th grader and all their eyes lit up. I told them if they worked hard learning the drills it was very likely that they could accomplish this goal.

Bri did a great job leading the team for the first time. I was impressed when she lead the girls around the field in two warm up laps. She came organized and with a plan for practice and the girls were engaged trying new things. We had two girls who were trying softball for the first time and both of them could throw and catch by the end of the practice. The middle school sports coordinator told me that today was the best middle school practice he has ever seen at HW so that was reassuring to me. I am glad to know I am doing something right!

I love the competitiveness of varsity softball but I also love the fresh energy from middle schoolers. Practice with the middle schoolers was energizing for me and it made me excited for the future of my softball program. In a couple years this middle school team will be my varsity team.
In the meantime, I am looking forward to getting back to the varsity. Team inter-squad tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment