I found it fitting that today is World Cancer day on the 12th anniversary of my mother's death. She had an eight month battle of cancer that was painful for all of us, but here I am on the other side living in her memory. I keep a picture of my mom and I on my nightstand and I look at it every morning. Her smile is familiar yet twelve years distant.
Every year I feel different on February 4th and this year I realized that I am feeling about as happy as I have ever been. Today I am not happy she passed away, but not being lonely anymore has helped my healing process. I don't think my healing will ever be fully over, but at least I have taken another step towards it. One year at a time.
I miss you mom. Always.

Thanks, Claire. I appreciate you honoring her with your love and words. I miss your Mom, too.
ReplyDeleteAunt Kris
beautiful
ReplyDelete