
For some work research, Syd had to go to the Daoist temple in Hacienda Heights. They have a Chinese language school there so while he checked it out, I explored.
 |
| The Entrance |
The temple is gigantic on the side of a hill over looking the San Gabriel Valley. You would never know it was in the area, but there were quite a few people coming to light candles and pray.
 |
| The Main Shrine |
I don't think many white people wander into the grounds because tour guides immediately came up to us. It is always funny to see how surprised people are when Syd speaks fluent Chinese back to them. Syd knows a lot about the temple buildings and he was a very good tour guide. I learned about all 9 virtues represented in the garden, and also the about the traditional temple gong and drum.
The temple is also a monestary and I saw a few monks. They are very androgynous looking and I couldn't tell if they were make of female. It was interesting to see the culture that felt very secluded even though it is in a metropolis area.
 |
| Fountain with the Virtues |
Interesting outing today and so many stairs! I definitely learned something new and it was a much closer Chinese experience than an 18 hour plane ride.
No comments:
Post a Comment