Sunday, July 8, 2018

Belém

We took the tram West to Belém and got off at the stop where all the other tourist got off. I thought there were just two monuments on the water, but when we looked right, there was actually a huge beautiful gothic building. 





Turns out the Jeronimos Monastery is a UNESCO world heritage site so I am glad we stopped in. The architecture in the courtyard is really ornate and beautiful. I also did not realize that Vasco da Gama was buried there until I researched the monastery when we got home. 













Across from the monastery is the monument to the discoveries, honoring all of the Portuguese explorers and sailors. 







We walked along the “embarcadero” until we got to the Tower of Belém. The tower was the first line of defense protecting Lisbon from being conquered during the age of discovery. 



While walking around the city the last few days we have seen multiple sardine and canned fish fish stores with decorative tin boxes. We decided to be adventurous and try some. I was brave and tried a fried sardine, and Syd had the sardine, mackerel, and tuna pâté platter. Very fishy! 




1 comment: