My friend Courtney and I checked out an adult ballet class at the Pasadena Dance Theater tonight. It was a beginners class but the levels were pretty mixed. This was the first ballet class that I have ever taken where there were more men than women! The teacher was some guy who I could tell had been an important dancer somewhere. I can't remember his name...
The class was a little slow and focused mostly on barre, which isn't the most fun part of ballet. We only did a few exercised in the center and one allegro (jumping) that is my favorite. Dancing is something that makes me happy, it always has. I can't help but smile as I move to the music. Most people in ballet classes don't and they make it look like work. I don't understand how it is possible to prance and dance around with a scowl on your face.
The coolest past of this dance studio was that we had a live accompanist. Growing up, it was a special treat when someone played the piano for class. Dancing to live music tonight made it feel like a real master class. I tried to pretend that I was dancing in the movie Center Stage. Ha.
There is another dance studio in Pasadena that we might try next week, but for now I am sold on this one just for the piano alone. Looking forward to class again. Maybe I'll get a cooler picture next time. I felt a little self conscious.
Glad you found it. Hope you guys find the right level, sounds fun.
ReplyDelete