Monday, February 4, 2013

Enjoy the View

Every time I go home to HMB I make a point to sit on my mom's bench near the beach at least once. The view is always pretty, morning, evening, sun or fog. Its a great place to sit and think, but more often I catch my breath there after running along the coastal trail.

This weekend a piece of art popped up in front of the bench in the form of a piano. I think it is fitting that they would choose the 11th anniversary of my mother's passing to put a piano out there on the bluffs. One of my many memories of my mom is of her sitting at the piano in our house playing hymns and singing along. She never said she was good at playing the piano, or considered it one of her talents, but I always thought she was great at it. I remember dancing because I was too young to read the music. She only played the songs that brought her the most joy, and I think that is what music is all about.

On February 4th, I always feel different. This year I am feeling hopeful. I am happy with where I am in my life right now and I think my mom would be too. I love my job, I have great friends, I really like living in my first apartment by myself, and I am excited about the future and the possibilities out there.

Since the beginning of 2013 I have been determined to make this year awesome and memorable. Today, I am reminded of that from the new view from my mom's bench with a cool piece of art in front of it. I will always have a past with painful memories, but seeing the piano also tells me the future will be beautiful too.





Dear Mom,

Play one for me tonight. I'll be sure to dance.

I miss you.

Love,
Claire

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Claire.

    Love you,
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are an inspiration and this is a lovely post...

    ReplyDelete