Friday, July 5, 2019

Lone Pine Koala Reserve

Today was the best day ever!! We drove west of Brisbane to the Lone Pine Koala Reserve. They have 70 native species of animals of Australia and specialize in koalas!!! We reserved a special behind the scenes tour to hold a koala and learn more about them. 


The sanctuary does a lot of research and preservation for koalas. They have been open and saving koalas for over 100 years!

The first koala exhibit we saw on the tour I felt overjoyed with cuteness! They are so peaceful and happy just being on their little perches. I couldn’t believe I was seeing them in real life!

This is called a koala cuddle. They said that koalas don’t usually do this in the wild, but because these four grew up together they cuddle. Everyone was really excited about having four cuddling together today, they even called the local newspaper about the news. I guess a cuddle is usually two or sometimes three, so four was a special treat to see. They aren’t totally sure why they do this, it isn’t for warmth because they do it in summer too when it’s 100 degrees. Doesn’t it want to make you join?!

Here are two friends. 

The highlight of the tour is holding the koala. The guide tells you to put your hands in a certain position and act solid like a tree. They position their little bum in your hands and they balance there, even though it looks like they are holding on with their hands. 

This guy is heavier than he looks! I expected them to be like Arthur, mostly fur and not a lot of weight, but that was not the case, they are dense. The fur is also not that soft, it feels like felt and is thick. He smelled too, but I didn’t care, it was super cool!

The koalas only work 30 minutes per day at the photo station, and if they aren’t feeling it, they get the day off! They have great worker benefits. 

We got to go inside the habitat and get really close. Koalas sleep 18-19 hours per day up in the trees. 

This guy woke up for the photo. I keep saying guy because the majority of koalas on display are male because the females are tending to joeys. 

Here is a cute little Joey sleeping!!!

After the tour we went to the kangaroo and wallaby exhibit. You can buy food in the gift shop and hand feed them. It reminded me of feeding the goats at the SF Zoo. 

The kangaroos hop right up to you to eat. You can pet them and they are really soft.

Up close and personal. 

Check out how weird their feed are!! Three toes, and the middle one is the biggest. 

I really liked feeding the kangaroos. 

The emus were creepy! You could feed them too and they would peck your hands. They seemed really dinosaur like. Not my favorite animal of the day. 

I loved the Koala Sanctuary. Totally worth the trip!!! 

After hanging with the animals, we headed south to the Gold Coast. We are staying across from Kirra Beach and Syd hit the waves immediately. There is a huge swell coming in and people are flying in from all over the world to surf. We just happen to be here...

I think it’s funny that technically the beach is closed but surfers are flocking to the waves. 

Syd surfed all afternoon and I enjoyed the lookout point over the break. There must have been at least 100 or more surfers out. 

Syd loved it and can’t wait to surf again. All in all, a great day on all fronts. 

1 comment: