Saturday, July 4, 2026

Bats… not the softball kind!

​Vacation in Fiji is so different from my real life because it’s unscheduled, and you can just go wherever the wind takes you! It was too windy for surfing so we walked around the island in the morning. 

Someone built this lean to on the beach on the other side of the island and it reminded me of Castaway. 


We got on the 10am snorkel boat and went to a new spot we had never been to before. This bright yellow puffer fish was the highlight!


These giant clams were pretty amazing too. We saw about 10 of them. 


Syd watching the sunset. 

Last night at dinner I saw a huge bat. I had never seen one here before much less, as big as a ginuea pig with wings. I spent the day researching and it turns out bats are the only native mammal to the Fiji islands. There are a few that live here that are endangered, but I figured out the one that I saw was a Pacific Flying Fox. Their wing spans are up to three feet!


This evening I waited for the bats to start being active and got some photos. They are really cute and the faces look like a combination of a bear and fox. 

Hanging upside down in the palm tree. The bats here are keystone species and super important to keeping the tropical forests healthy. They are the major pollinators but eating fruit and spreading the seeds and pollen. 

You can kind of see the wing span here. So, I’m enjoying learning about and watching the bats!! It’s cool seeing new things even after coming here so many times. 



1 comment: