Today we signed up to go on a private, half day, snorkeling and fishing trip. I was excited for both the snorkeling and the fishing, because we have never gone fishing in Fiji before. I had no idea what to expect because sometimes you catch things and sometimes you don’t, I was just hoping for good photos.
While walking to the boat I asked Syd what kind of fish he thought we could catch and he said the fish come in all sizes. I was just trying to figure out if I was gonna find a small fish or one respectable enough for a photo. 
Our boat, the Y Knot. 
Captain Bale took us to the Mana island reef and sandbar about 20min away from our island. Mana Island is know for being the site of Surviror.
The coal was beautiful, but there were huge schools of fish! The biodiversity was some of the largest we have seen. 
I swam right though a school! I also felt a bunch of stings, and I realized I was swimming through jelly fish larva!!! It doesn’t hurt, but it’s surprising. 
We swam with the current to the sandbar in the middle of the ocean. 
We got back in the boat and Captain Bale set the lines for fishing. I expecting us to be sitting in the boat and casting constantly, but how they do it is drop lines behind the boat and drive around trying to entice fish to chase the lure and bike it. 
After about 20min we got our first bite!!! I couldn’t believe it. Syd reeled it in and I was so impressed with the size of the fish. 
He caught a bluefin trevally. 
About 10 minutes later I saw some fish jumping out of the water like they were being chased by something big. Then, all of a sudden the other line had hooked something. Captain Bale handed the pole to me to reel in.

I reeled and reeled and I wasn’t sure I could get it myself. Syd felt the line and he told Bale it was still fighting and Bale said it must be something big. I had no clue what that meant, but I kept going. At one point I almost gave up, but Bale said “it’s right behind the boat, don’t give up!” I kept reeling more determined than ever. 
The look on my face when I saw how big my fish was. 
I caught a Spanish Mackerel and it was about a meter long. I was so proud!!!

I also have to mention how hardcore I am. This is fish blood on my leg!!!
Bale took us back to our island after a successful trip. We gave the trevally to him and he filleted our mackerel for us. We delivered it to the chef.
For dinner the chef made us Kokoda, a traditional Fijian ceviche. It has coconut milk, lime, onion, and peppers. It was so good and fresh!!! We ate it with homemade taro chips. 
For the main course the fish was pan fried. It was flakey and a meaty fish. Similar to halibut, but lighter like cod. 
We still have the other filet to eat tomorrow too.
Today was an experiment I’ll never forget!!
So fun! That's great you caught dinner and it was good!
ReplyDeletegood for you both! what an exciting adventure!
ReplyDeleteI thought Syd was the chef!
ReplyDelete