Warning: the photo of Syd’s gash from the reef is a little intense below, so here is a photo of a cute island cat I met this morning on my walk. 
Also, this huge crab was in the pool this morning. I am confused about it. It looks real, but did it really crawl all the way from the beach to the pool and then not make it out because of the chlorine?! I am not sure what happened here. 
And I found a fresh donut place at the resort next door. They fry them to order. Delicious. 
Ok, so if you made it this far and want to know what happened to Syd, he surfed double overhead waves today. He got a bunch of good rides, but at the end a swell came through and he had to ditch his board to dive under. He got pushed down unto the reef, it was low tide and very shallow, and he got washing machined over the reef. He went back to the boat and the boat driver put iodine on it from the first aid kit. When he got home and got out of the boat I could see that his leg was bleeding and the said, that’s not even the worst of it! He was right!

Good news is, I am an experienced surfer’s wife and I travel with a coral reef first aid kit with gauze, neosporin, tape, and waterproof bandages. We patched him up and he should be good and covered up for tomorrow. My suggestion was find a surf break that is slightly deeper next time.
Always an adventure!
Well, at least he can sniff proudly and say, "Oh, those scars? Yeah I got them surfing big waves in Fiji."
ReplyDeleteouch!
ReplyDelete