Sunday, October 30, 2011

UCLA Football

My friend Tanja is here this weekend from Switzerland (She is German, but I played with her on the Devils) and we are having a great time doing touristy stuff. Yesterday we went to a UCLA football game at the Rose Bowl. I had never been to the Rose Bowl, or a college football game that wasn't Towson, so it was fun to go to the game.

We went into the game and I think the best part of college football is the atmosphere. I am not a huge fan of the sport, but I love the excitement of the crowd, the bands, and even the drunk college students sitting in the student section are fun to watch.

Golf Course
Before the game we met my roommate Jen and her friends who were tailgating. It is Jen's birthday so she was the main reason the UCLA game was organized. The tailgating at the Rose Bowl is not my typical idea of tailgating that happens in a parking lot. The Rose Bowl parking is on a golf course! They park everyone out in the rough, and mark off the greens. It is actually a much nicer scene on the grass and under trees than in a hot parking lot (it was 80 degrees), but I was surprise they would let cars drive on the golf course after spending thousands of dollars to take care of it (or maybe I am not that surprised because it sounds like a certain softball field I know...).


View from our seats

UCLA beat Cal 31-24. Our seats were right behind the goal posts which was cool. The stadium wasn't as full as I expected but the game was still well attended. We ended up leaving with about 7 min left in the 4th quarter to beat the traffic, but we lost our car on the golf course! It took up 35 min to find it after the game. We knew we were on hole 8 and parked on a hill next to a side walk, but man, those were NOT good land marks because there are tons of hills and sidewalks on golf courses. When we parked there were no cars around us, so we thought our car would be easy to find, but by the end of the game our care was swamped with other cars. Even though we were totally lost, I didn't feel so bad because most of the other fans were lost too.

1 comment: