Saturday, January 11, 2014

HWSB Pre-Season

What a great day of firsts! Today was our first pre-season games of the season and it was a perfect opportunity to shake off the rust and see where we are in terms of being prepared for the season. We were shorthanded players in both games, but everyone contributed and we won 1-0 and 6-0.

Hailey on the Mound
Hailey, my freshman pitcher made her debut in high school ball. In the two games she had 17 strikeouts combined and did not give up a hit! A few runners got on base because of errors, but she did a great job hitting her spots and mixing up her pitches. She pitched fantastic and I hope her first outing will give her the confidence she needs this season.

My leadoff batter Victoria started off the day with an inside the park homerun. She hit it wayyy over the center fielder's head and she is so fast she just kept running. Definitely not a bad first at-bat.

My team hit well as a whole today, which Melanie and I were happy about. The pitching was on the slow side, but the girls made the adjustments necessary. Everyone got at least one hit and I was so happy for the freshman who hit line drives into the gap.
Courtney Hit a Double

I kept reminding the girls today to cheer, be loud, and have fun. Melanie came up with the saying "Cheering+Bonding=Teamy" which is exactly our goal for this year. Becoming a close team and supporting each other. In our post-game meeting I asked them if they had any fun, and they all kind of looked at each other, smiled and said they did.

One senior said that these games made her excited for the season and she is looking forward to it even more. I think that the best result from our first games was my team's realization that their new coach has a different coaching style than they were used to and they could feel it. We had a loose but focused environment today that helped us be successful. We had genuine fun and I am still feeling on a high from it. That feeling is why I coach.

Go HWSB!

1 comment: