Saturday, January 4, 2014

Santa Anita Race Track

For a post-holiday outing, Syd and I thought it would be fun to take Sabrina and Erin to the Santa Anita Race Track for the afternoon. I had never been to the horse races before and it seemed like it would be a good blog worthy experience. 

 Santa Anita is well known for a few reasons. One, is it is the home of the Breeder's Cup. The Breeder's Cup is generally won by two year old horses who then go on to race on the big stage at three years old at Preakness in Maryland or the Kentucky Derby so it is a starting point for many successful horses careers. Also, Seabiscuit lived at Santa Anita and you can take a "Seabiscuit" tour to see his stall and other important places in the movie.
Syd and I in front of the grand stands.

 This was my first time at any race track and the culture was interesting and very unique. There were many older people and a few families, but mainly it seemed like there were serious gamblers walking around. We were sitting in the box seats, but inside was filled with smoke and people figuring out the odds or placing bets. I walked into the women's restroom and there was an old man who must be a regular, sitting in the back corner (pictured above) with his nose in his books and writing down which horses he was going to bed on that day. I thought it was bizarre, but he must have thought it was a lucky chair.
 Outside the stands they had to horse actor who place Seabiscuit in the movie. 

 I really had no idea that there were so many kinds of races, and that they were different lengths, and on different surfaces. Some were on the outer track which was dirt/sand mixture, they had a grass or turf track, and they also had a track that started up on a hill way out in the distance and then the rounded the track and finished the race in front of the Grand Stands. There were 9 races today and the down hill race was the biggest race of the day.
 I am really not a gambler, but the only horse I bet on today's name was Crushed Velvet. I liked the name and his jockey wore purple. He came in 3rd, and I definitely did not pick the horse for the right reasons. Syd and Erin had a good time betting a few dollars here and there on the races. Syd went 0-9 and every horse he picked today came in dead last! I didn't even think that was possible, but clearly we are not going to Vegas any time soon.

Erin on the other hand had fabulous luck. She was 8-1 on picking the winning horse! Amazing. She made $70 today.
 This trumpeter had a sweet outfit and job, so naturally we had to take a photo of him. At 15 minutes until the horses post and get ready to race, he plays a tune, and then again at the 10 minute mark. He said he has been working at Santa Anita for 27 years, as long as I have been alive.
 My favorite part was watching the handlers walk the horses from the stalls to the tack area and get them ready to race. It is very official while they tack up and prepare the Jockeys because the owners are there and everyone is talking about odds and horse racing stuff that I didn't really understand. The horses are beautiful and so well taken care of. All their coats glisten and they look like one big muscle. 

On the last race of the day we went down to the track level and watched from the finish line. It was really cool as the horses ran past. They are so fast and glide around the track. One thing I thought was interesting is that every horse that entered a race today had been given a steroid called Lasix. I guess we are in that day in age where everyone, humans and horses, think they need performance enhancers. It is a little disappointing. 

Fun afternoon experiencing something I have never been exposed to. I am not really into the gambling but the horses are amazing. Next step, the Breeder's Cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment