I went to the Stanford Coaching clinic and had a fantastic time. One of the best parts was sitting in a room full of men and watching the elite coaching staff of four women school them in softball skills, strategy and best practices. These women know their stuff and I loved learning from them.
Rachel Hansen is in her second year as head coach and I am most impressed with the "systems" she has in place to bring clarity to all her policies. She has charts and rubrics explaining all of her team expectations. One of my biggest take always from today was some of her advice on how to paint a clear picture of what is acceptable parent behavior. This is something I have struggled with in the past, am excited to have some strategies to help.
Something I have been thinking about a lot this week, is how fortunate I feel to be coaching at Half Moon Bay High this season. I have players who are eager to learn and I feel a freedom in my coaching that I haven't felt in a few years. It is an opportunity to do things the way that I believe works best, instead of having "prestige" handcuffing me to expectations. I haven't looked forward to going to practice this much in years and that's exciting!
The clinic validated these feelings today, and for that I am grateful. It's going to be a great season.
No comments:
Post a Comment