Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Makauwahi Cave Trail

I read about the Makauwahi Cave online, but didn’t realize how close it is to Syd’s surf spot, so we were able to stop by this morning. The trail has a stops along the way, and a brochure created by a local Eagle Scout to tell visitors what they are seeing along the walk down to the cave. 
The start of the trail head. 
View of the cove. You can see the trail is rocky and bright red. 
Here I am at the cave overlook. About 7,000 years ago it was a lake that filled in the lava tubes. There is still a little bit of water left, but mostly it is home to native Hawaiian plants. 
Cave entrance. 
The coolest and craziest part of the trail is to get into the cave you have to crawl in! They have put down carpet so you aren’t just crawling in the dirt, but I couldn’t believe I was crawling in a lava tube. 
From here the tube opens up into the lucious green area and you can see the small water pond left and the palm trees. 


Here I am in the second cave, that is much bigger. It is all limestone and goes back about 25 yards. On the left you can see some of the archeology digging tools they are using to study the fossils in the cave. 

The nice docent took a photo of us. 

Cool rock formation! You can see where years of dripping water shaped the rocks. 


After exploring, we crawled out!


We found an awesome fish market and got a pound of Ono. It is fish native to Hawaii and is pretty crazy looking. I looked up what it’s name is in English and Google told me this. 




Syd is enjoying trying all the seafood and eating it fresh. The Ono was delicious on the grill!

1 comment: