Monday, August 8, 2022

Island Swim

Our hotel room has a lagoon view, and across the lagoon is a small island made of lava rock. We swam and waded across the channel to check it out. 
Taking our morning walk on the beach. 


View of the island. 

They had these small, bright blue fish in the channel. 


Me, on the sandbar. Almost to the island. 


Syd up ahead checking out the lava caves. 



Looking back at our hotel through the rocks. 

I noticed a huge piece of snake skin in the water. It wasn’t whole, but you can tell how thick the water snake was who shed this. I kept walking, not thinking too much of it. 


Us on the other side of the island with the coral reef in the background. It was pretty low tide and the shallows go out for about half a mile. 

On our walk back, a coral snake swam right toward me!! I almost jumped out of my skin and did jump out of my sandals. It is hard to see in this photo, but it is much bigger than the one we saw snorkeling. My blood was pumping and I was immediately ready to be back on shore. Syd grabbed my sandals for me as the snake swam away. The first time we saw one, I thought it was cool because it was going the other direction but this time it freaked me out. Super crazy to experience one of the most venomous snakes in the world up close! I have now seen five total coral snakes here. That feels like a lot!



The view from our cabana. Safely back on land and in the shade. 


No comments:

Post a Comment