Grandad Morrie and Grandma Joan
The good news is that my family is coping fine, or as fine as can be expected. Us Grouts are resilliant.
I was not particularly close to my grandmother because she lived in Washington and I grew up in California. The distance made visits occasional and the memories special. Grandma Joan was a painter and my favorite memory was when I was in elementary school and she showed me her water color paint set. She mixed some colors on her pallet and then I got to try them out. I remember my painting was bright orange. When we were almost done, Grandma got creative and put some plastic wrap over my orange botches. It made the water collect in cool shapes and I remember being very impressed with my Grandma's idea. I was so impressed that I told my art teacher the next day at school and bragged that my grandmother was an artist.
My grandmother has 18 grandchildren and she has painted portraits of all of us. Her painting of me is a collage of images from when I was a child. The Joan Grout Original is my favorite in our house and is hung in our kitchen. Every time I look at the painting it reminds me of these happy times from my childhood and also of her. I hope to proudly hang it in my own house someday.
Grandma Joan,
Rest in peace and know that you are loved and admired by your grandchildren. I will miss you and your joyful laugh at Grout family gatherings. I hope you look down on all of the members of our family and smile, just as I am smiling through my tears thinking about you.
Love Always,
Claire
Ps... Say hi to Mom for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment