Switzerland was expecting a huge storm and horrible weather this weekend. On Friday morning I thought it would be pouring rain when I woke up but I looked out my window and it was nice and sunny. Around 10:30, Momma Ursi suggested that the 3 of us go hiking and that we should leave in 30 min. Of course, Christina and I said yes, because we had been wanting to hike Hoher Kasten, but we didn't think we would have time in our last days here, and besides, I was happy to have an excuse to avoid packing for a little longer!
After running around and getting ready (Momma Ursi prepared lunch for Tiin and Sepp to heat up), we left for the mountains at 11. Hoher Kasten is one of the peaks in Appenzell and is right next to the Santis. Momma Ursi picked a trail that would take 2 hours to get to the top. I was happy with her decision because the other choice was about 5 hours... that could have been a longgg walk.
While hiking up the mountain I tried multiple times to feet the cows that were wondering around on or next to the trail. None of them wanted to take the grass I was offering. One ran away from me when I walked up to him, and the others looked at me like I was crazy. Why would they want to walk 5 steps towards me when they have the same perfectly good grass right under their noses? Lazy cows... All I wanted was a picture! Ha.
Anyway, it was cool to spend some time with Momma Ursi just the 3 of us. We walked up the mountain, looked at the scenery, and she pointed out special Swiss flowers. Momma Ursi likes to hike and Ch and I were really impressed how good of shape she was in! We made it up the mountain in an hour and 55 minutes. At one point a sign said 15 minutes to the top, and she said "No, us in 7."
As I was hiking I realized that I am not a good hiker. I don't pay attention to the scenery enough or enjoy being out in nature as much as I should. Instead, I think about how much I want to be at the top, so I walk up the mountain in a hurry. This is something I have to work on for the next (which will be my 3rd) Swiss mountain I climb.
We made it to the top and the view was perfect and we made it up the mountain just in time. We could see the big Alps and Austria on one side and on the other we could see the storm rolling in over Switzerland. I felt like the view kind of represented the end of my summer. One side was sunny and beautiful, and the other had huge puffy clouds quickly approaching that looked unknown for the future. My summer was wonderful, and I am not sure what is next for me, just like I couldn't see through the clouds.
The 3 of us at the top. Yes, I asked someone to take this picture of me in German!
At the top of the Hoher Kasten is a rotating restaurant where Momma Ursi treated us to lunch. I was so happy to drink my apple juice and eat my schnitzel. We ate and watched the clouds roll in.
The clouds from the restaurant window.
It was a great afternoon with Momma Ursi and Christina, and so nice of Momma Ursi to take time out of her busy day to go hiking. As much as mountain climbing isn't my thing, every time I do it I feel happy I did.
No comments:
Post a Comment