Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Yoga

My friend Katie goes to Yoga on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and since I had never done it and I have no evening obligations, I decided to give it a try. I am just going to start off by saying it was the most intense workout I have ever done WITHOUT sweating. I wish I was joking.

The class was interesting. The teacher is really nice and her voice is soothing, almost too soothing because at one point I was like "Oh man, was I listening?!" because in the dimly lit room it would be easy to fall asleep on your yoga mat. There were about 10 people in the class and Katie and I were by far the youngest and the least flexible. These people, who are probably older than our parents, can hit poses with their legs in the air and make it look easy. Meanwhile, my legs are shaking and I am wondering if I will be able to move tomorrow.

In all my years of activity, softball, the 300 yard sprints, the weight lifting record, countless curve balls, and not to forget ballet training 5 days a week for many years, my legs, abs, and arms have never shaken so much. I thought my hip flexors were going to pop out from doing so many deep front lunges. Even the "easy pose" called child pose hurt by the end of the session! Ha. At some point in the class I think I could feel every injury that I have ever had twinge in my body, even though they have been healed for years, months (maybe days? ha, I am always hurt) now. Back, groin, shoulder, you name it, I felt it. And I really couldn't believe it because I didn't have a drop of sweat. Does it even count as a workout!?

At the end of the hour and 45 minute class (Surprise! I thought it was an hour...), the teacher turned off all the lights and told us to lay on our backs under blankets. I legit almost fell asleep and Katie said she was close to dreaming. Doing all the deep breathing was relaxing, I guess!

So yes, my first time at yoga was hard, but I think I will go back. Like everything else, it just takes practice, and I hate being bad at things, so I need the practice. I tried something a little scary today and had a good but shakey time, and as an added bonus, I had a story to tell. Pretty good evening, I would say.


*I really regret not having a picture for this post, I even had my camera with me, but some of the people were so into yoga and being meditative that I felt like I was being disrespectful whipping it out after class. The lights were still off in the room and I didn't want the flash to wake people up from their meditation... so, next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment