Wednesday, December 31, 2014

A Year in Review

This year, 2014, had its challenges, but in general, it was a great EVEN year. I learned new things at HW, spent time with friends and family, and Syd and I shared many adventures. Below are the highlights, month by month.


We started 2014 with a Rose Parade viewing party at our house. All of our friends came over for breakfast as we watched the parade go by our windows. I have always looked forward to the Rose Parade on New Years, and being able to watch it from the comfort of our own home and on TV at the same time, is a memory I will never forget. 

 My first season as the HWSB head coach began in February. I enjoyed coaching a talented group of young softball players, and we all learned and tried new things together. Above is the program's first photo shoot. The girls had fun being models for the afternoon.
In March we visited our friends Kristen and Josh in Arizona. They showed us all around Scottsdale, which I had no idea how fun of city it is. Every restaurant has outdoor dining and the best part was going to Giants Spring Training.

 Syd and I celebrated my birthday in April by going to see the Giants play the Padres in San Diego. Petco park is much nicer than going to a game in Dodger country. Our seats were right behind the Giants dugout!
In May we went to one of Ryan's horse shows. She is very skilled rider and it is impressive to watch her take such good care of Derby. My dad has become quite the cowboy too, picking hooves and mucking stalls. 

For vacation in June Syd and I swam with the manatees in Florida! Swimming with and seeing manatees in real life has been on my bucket list since I was in elementary school. On the snorkel tour the manatees swam right up to us and we were bumped many times. It was an incredible experience and I hope to do it again someday.

 We spent most of our summer at home in Pasadena and it was a scorcher. The 2014 drought was real. For the 4th of July we tail gated at the Rose Bowl with our friends. BBQing on the grass and playing with light sabers and footballs was a good mix of adulthood and play.
 In August, I hosted the most creative softball camp ever at HW. It was an entire week of the coolest drills my staff and I could think of for girls ages 8-14. In addition to softball skills and drills, we also tie dyed shirts and slip and slide. I wish softball camp could be every week!
 Arthur Clat joined our family in September. Syd wanted a kitten for his 30th birthday, and I was reluctant, but Arthur has turned out to bring us excitement and cuteness. He is growing quickly and loves to wake us up with face licks. Syd and I both agree that Arthur is the most loved cat in the world.
 October was a stressful month for Giants fans, or at least for me. I only wore Giants clothes (which can be dangerous in LA) and for an entire week during the playoffs I was camping on Catalina Island with no TV, cell reception, or internet. I was happy to return to civilization to the news that the Giants qualified for the World Series. The World Series ended in a huge victory and a stellar series for MadBum. Three championship rings in 5 years. Baseball is so much fun... how many days until opening day?!
 On Thanksgiving morning Syd totally surprised me with a purple ring and the question "Will you spend the rest of my life with me?" Just like that we are engaged to be married next year and major photo credits to Kristin for documenting. It was a November I will never forget.
After a busy December, Syd and I wanted to spend the holidays quietly at home. It has been a nice and low key winter break. In the back of the picture you can see our first and probably last Christmas tree. Taking it down today was not worth the hassle.

Even with all the great memories from 2014, I am looking forward to starting a new year. My goal is to stick to my fitness routine and continue to actively go to the gym. I also want to spend as much time as possible trying new things and balancing work and play. This seems to be a common goal amongst people my age. Or maybe it is just my group of friends who are love their jobs a little too much.

What am I looking forward to most about 2015? Spending time with Syd and planning our wedding. 

Happy New Year! Here's to happiness.




1 comment:

  1. Great recap! You had a wonderful 2014, and 2015 will be even better. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete