Friday, December 5, 2014

No Bad Days

There is no such thing as a bad day at the NFCA convention. Melanie and I sat right in front for the speakers yesterday because we wanted the best view for all the drills. Apparently that is were the winners sit because we sat next to the Alabama coaching staff and the Tennessee coaches were behind. We even got to shake the Tennessee coaches hand!

The best speaker of the day was Jen Schroeder a former UCLA catcher who now does catching clinics in the Los Angeles area. She was on fire while she spoke and you could feel her passion. The drills she does with catchers are like none I have ever seen. Her talk came at just the right time too because we are trying to develop a catcher right now at HW.
After the speakers, Melanie and I took the exhibition hall by storm. We tried out every bat, tee, helmet, and training aid they had to offer. In the top left corner Mel is swinging the new Easton Torq bat. It is the latest bat on the market and we have been waiting to try it at the convention since the summer. The handle swivels so you can stay palm up, palm, down longer, thus creating more power. It is a weird concept, and after taking a few swings, I can see how it works, but Mel and I agreed that some of the other bats out there have more pop. After having fun with all the softball gadgets, we are coming home with 4 training aid bats, a new tee, and coaching helmets. Our training sessions this week are going to be totally new and different.
This evening after the convention, we went to the Wynn to see the show Le Reve. I love the Wynn hotel because it is colorful and bright. It doesn't feel dingy like a lot of the casinos around here. These tulips are outside of the Wynn theater. I think they kind of look like the balled ribbon you can buy that is weaved all nicely so it doesn't get tangled.
Le Reve is a show the combines Cirqe du Sole, magic, synchronized swimming, dancing, and acrobatics. The stage is a round pool and there isn't a bad seat in the theater. The only thing I picked up from the story line is that it is about a women having a dream, but the show is very impressive. There were so many amazing dancers, water balleters that I didn't know where to look! They also had some really cool scenery, dropping things and people from the sky. The effects were great. If you are ever in Vegas I highly recommend the show.




No comments:

Post a Comment