Saturday, December 19, 2015

Grandma Ruth

Today we celebrated the life of my grandmother Ruth Rietmann. My Aunt Kris organized a ceremony in her honor at their church. It was very warm and welcoming and we met many people who knew and loved her. My cousins sang her favorite hymn which was a wonderful touch to the celebration. 

It has been many years since I had seen my grandmother, but for our wedding she gave us the communion plate from my parents wedding. It was a very touching gift, and something I know she had been waiting to give to me for many years. She had hoped that we engrave our names and wedding date under my parents names, and I plan to do so in her honor. 

The best part of the weekend was connecting with family members and catching up. I think we all needed it. I heard stories of the Rietmann's, my grandmother, my mother, and our connection to Switzerland that I had never heard before and I am grateful for that. 

I love you grandma. Say hi to mom and rest in peace. 

2 comments: