Sunday, August 15, 2010

3-1 on the Weekend!


Hello, Hello!!

Wow, what a great weekend at the softball field for the Devils. We had 4 games and won 3 of them! On Saturday we played the Flyers (first place team) and Mercy ruled them twice!! We won 21-11 and 11-0. It was nice to have short games, we only played 9 innings total, because we were able to save out legs and bodies for Sunday.
Our offense was on point and everyone came out with a selective eye and then had strong swings when they got a good pitch. Christina lead the offense this weekend and really made the Flyer's pitchers pay for their mistakes. She hit a home run and a grand slam! It was awesome. Everyone was so excited and greeted her at home plate with high fives and hugs.
Ch and her big bat.

In the second game we had a big lead so Tiin mixed the defense up a little bit. He wanted to save Nadja's legs behind the plate for Sunday so Ch caught for me. She didn't know the signs or anything, but we just smiled and laughed the entire time. Our strategy was give me a target and I would point to it and put the ball in her glove. It worked out well too because the inning was 3 up 3 down.
Here we are discussing the signs and our game plan for the inning.
Ch ended up making the final out of the game against the Flyers by catching a foul tip for strike 3. Just like a pro!

After the games we were stoked for the 2 wins. I still feel on a high after beating the first place team (and serving them their 3rd, 4th, and 5th losses of the season because we beat them last weekend too). With the two wins we moved into 3rd place. Playoffs here we come!

Day two of our softball weekend...

We traveled to Lucern to play the Eagles who are in second place and have been having a really good season. Last time we tried to play them the field was a mess and it was pouring rain. Yesterday wasn't much different, except it stopped raining for game time. Their field is horrible, I wish I had a picture of it. Second base is mud and a puddle and unsafe. I did not like playing short stop and covering the steal while running around all of the water hazards.

Anyway... we run ruled the Eagles in the first game. Our offense was awesome again. Nadja hit a clutch triple, Ch was doing her normal thing of making pitchers feel sorry for themselves, and everyone contributed to the win.

In the second game the Eagles American pitched. She is an interesting player because she is not the typical American softball player who joins the Swiss league. Most of us are loud and leaders who come to play and do whatever we can to help our clubs. This girl is quiet, and shy and the opposite. I didn't hear her say anything to her teammates or say the outs ONCE on defense. So weird to me because when we learn to play softball growing up we learn that you must be loud in order to succeed. I don't know where she missed the memo... But, I guess everyone plays softball differently, and I'll give it to her this time because she beat us. UGH. hahaha We lost the second game because we didn't hit. Next time... we will be ready!

All in all, a good weekend. We handed losses to the top 2 teams and are serious contenders for the playoffs and winning the Swiss Championship. Just have to keep doing what we are doing and ride our momentum. I am looking forward to the rest of the season because all of us are really finding our strides on the field and the team in peaking at the right time. Couldn't have planned it better.

GO DEVILS!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I like it. Ch puts her glove in a spot and you decide how to get it there. Sounds like a plan. Also sounds like you all are hitting like crazy. Cool.

    ReplyDelete