The girls who went there call ourselves "Mercy Girls" and once you are a Mercy girl you will always be a Mercy girl. We take an incredible amount of pride in our school, and I think after graduating this pride increases.
Now that the background is out of the way...
My high school has an Alumna magazine called The Acorn that comes out a few times a year. I always get really excited to flip through the pages because seeing the girls dressed up in the school uniform brings me back to the good times I had at Mercy High School. The latest issue has an article about Dear Devils. I tried to upload the article here, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. If you are curious about it, my dad uploaded it to Facebook and you can see it through his page.
In other Mercy news... I just read on the website that the girls are allowed to wear sandals this year with the uniform! This was a total "no-no" when I went there. You would get a "uniform infraction" for wearing sandals and would have to serve detention. The sandal issue was a such a big controversy back then that one of the leaders of the campaign to get sandals as an official uniform shoe came up with the slogan "Jesus wore sandals, why can't we?" The administration didn't find the saying very funny, but the student body on the other hand thought it was HILARIOUS.
I guess after 6, almost 7 years the students finally won the sandal battle and will now be showing off their freshly painted toenails on the first day of school. I can't decide if I am proud of the student body for being persistent about the issue or annoyed because they have a privilege we didn't have, even after all these years. But now that I think about it, I wear sandals everyday. Graduation paid off.
Sandal wearing has been an issue every place I work in retail due to things falling and breaking toes.
ReplyDeleteNo one thinks it will happen to them until it does.
Ah, those 30 lb. art books. But school should be OK.
Ah, Mercy girls pushing the limits with their sandals and rolled up plaid skirts. Pioneers.
ReplyDelete