Monday, August 16, 2010

We Speak No Americano

There is a really popular song out in Europe called "We Speak No Americano." (Youtube it) It is considered house music, which has a repetitive beat that makes you want to pump your fists in the air. I have no clue what the difference is between house music and techno, they sound the same to me, but anyway... back to the song...

"We Speak No Americano" is played every time Christina and I go out with our friends. At first we thought the song was annoying and we didn't know how to dance to it, but after hearing it so often the song has grown on us and I even have it in my itunes. Funny thing about the song is we are clueless about the words. When it comes on we "mumble, mumble" and then yell "Americano!" It truly is ridiculous, but not as ridiculous as the dance we made up to go along with it!

I don't have any video (probably a good thing), but Ch and I started pumping both our fists in the air over our heads, out to the side, and then down to the ground with a crazy knee bend, all in sync to the beat. After doing this a few times we decided it would be cool to alternate positions, instead of doing them at the same time, and we came up with a sweet dance! I kid you not, people have actually stopped what they were doing to watch. Trend setters? I think yes!

Marielle also got in on the action in our dance last time we were out in Wil and when the 3 of us do the dance together we form a Swiss Cross... pretty cool huh?!

Problem is, we do speak Americano and are often baffled when Germano is happening around us. But I am going to say that is all part of the fun and why we get away with doing our awesome summer dance.

1 comment:

  1. Well, this sounds cool, and from the look on CH's face, I'd say you're crazy having fun. When in the Peace Corps, we used to call this "Being on TV" where you're more the spectacle than the local sights and natives. (Some Peace Corp volunteers would become addicted to it, kind of creating spectacles of themselves wherever they went.) Creating a new European dance craze is no doubt an achievement of some kind. Put it on your resume for sure.

    ReplyDelete