Thursday, August 19, 2010

Out of the Ordinary...

About a week ago Tiin, Ch, and I were driving to practice and we passed a Maserati on our way to Wil.

Me: "Whoa, that guy must be rich."
Tiin: "Yeah, except he isn't really rich, he is kind of like fake rich. I think he is in the mafia or something"

Ch and I both laughed at the idea of being fake rich and in the mafia. Seems pretty unlikely in the Swiss country side that anyone would be apart of the mafia.

BOY, were we wrong!

<-On Tuesday the secret police raided this restaurant in Lommis (YES LOMMIS, sleepy little town with a population around... 2-300, maybe?) because they had been tipped off that it was a mafia operation! And even crazier, the police also arrested people in the small grocery store next to the restaurant and Tiin was inside!

He told us and his parents all about it at lunch on Wednesday and all of us couldn't believe the story. The guy that we saw driving the Maserati and his family are apart of the 'Ndrangheta, the largest mafia group in Europe. I am not sure what the family in Lommis were doing exactly, but I guess they were doing illegal activity in their basement and the police had been tipped off to it and tapped their phone lines a while ago. Information wasn't released in the newspaper about the raid until yesterday (so I didn't want to blog about it and break the story on Power in a Ponytail they day that it happened... ha... I didn't feel like it was my responsibility) and they aren't even releasing the name of the village, they are just saying a small town in Thurgau (our canton/state).

Weird huh!? Tiin totally called it, even though he was joking when he said the guy was mafia. I can't believe something like that would go on in Lommis. Ch and I always talked about wanting to eat pizza at that restaurant, little did we know major illegal activity was going on inside.

Here is a link to newspaper report. It is in German so I have only a small idea what it says (and I gave you my small understanding already), and it will be hard to read.

Yesterday Ch and I ran by the restaurant to see what was going on and it looks totally normal except for a small, neatly printed sign saying that the restaurant is closed. You would seriously have no idea what was going on in there just by looking at the building.

Lesson: Judge a pizza restaurant owner by his car. The nicer the car the less cooking he does.

1 comment: