Did you know there are cloistered nuns in Hollywood? Yeah, I didn't either!
Today Maureen wanted to go get pumpkin bread for Thanksgiving from the Monastery of the Angels which is a convent of cloistered nuns RIGHT DOWN THE STREET from Immaculate Heart. The nuns make the bread during holiday time and sell it. I had no idea there was a convent in the area, much less realized that there were such thing as cloistered nuns still in existence. When M said she was going, I had to go too. For curiosity's sake.
Low and behold two blocks from the Capitol Records building and Hollywood and Vine, under the Hollywood sign is this building. It looks churchy, but nothing crazy. I was expecting the monastery to look like the convent in the Sound of Music. That is really my only familiarity with convents, besides the retirement center at Mercy High School.
We rang the doorbell and they opened the gate to the gift shop. There was a cute little old nun in a traditional habit sitting in a chair and she wished us a Happy Thanksgiving. I had so many questions for her! But I was too shy to ask.
 |
| The sign on the door says cloistered and they aren't allowed out. |
Only 22 cloistered nuns live in the monastery now and they are devoted to a life of prayer and service inside the walls of the church. Some even take a vow of silence. It totally boggles my mind how so much is going on down the street in Hollywood, and Los Angeles in general, and these women never get to experience it. I am sure they love their way of life and are passionate about service, but I also feel kind of sorry for them. We live in such a great place, with so much to do, and diversity and culture within LA, and they never get to experience it. I am also confused about how you can do community service work if you are not allowed outside in the community. Religion can be confusing sometimes.
 |
| The Garden |
Interesting cultural experience today. And by the way, the pumpkin bread is amazing! I bought a loaf and almost told the cashier to keep the change to start an internet fund for the Monastery. What do you think the women do all day besides pray? You can't go to mass all day long, can you? I am guessing they have read a lot of books.
No comments:
Post a Comment