I attended an NCAA eligibility conference this morning at USC for high school administrators. They are changing the requirements for freshmen athletes to be able to compete at the Division I level, so I figured it would be good for me to be up to date on the rules because college recruiting is part of my job at IH. The conference was helpful, but most of the standards are more geared toward football and men's basketball players. College freshman now have to have graduated from high school with a 2.3 GPA to play college sports instead of a 2.0. This won't affect any student athletes at IH, our standards are much higher, but it is good to be aware of.
 |
| The Galen Center |
The conference was given by the assistant athletic director at USC in the brand new Galen Center (the pride of USC athletics currently). The conference room was right next to the weight room for the volleyball teams. USC has THAT much money that individual teams have their own weight rooms. I was temped to take a picture of how nice of a facility it is, but there were kids working out.
It was interesting to hear the Asst. AD talk about her athletes, even though the rest of her presentation was kind of dry. My guess is that she played basketball in college because she was about 6'2 and very fit. She deals with all the recruits and official visits, and listening to her stories reminded me of how much I love college athletics and how cool it was to be apart of a DI athletic department.
No comments:
Post a Comment