Monday, December 31, 2012

A Year in Review

2012 has come and gone and I am happy it is over and feeling ready for new things. I started the year out with the stomach flu, and ended it with it too. Kind of bizarre, and I can't help but wonder if that was significant. Just like all years, I had my ups and downs, but I am happy to say that my highs were much higher than the lows. This is my year in review.

Sabrina, Benz, and Me
In January I was fully enjoying my season tickets to the UCLA Women's Basketball team. I wasn't really a fan of basketball, but I will always be a fan of women's athletics so I am happy I became involved in the UCLA Athletics community. Now, a year later, I know the names of all the players, and recognize the other season ticket holders too.

San Diego

I went to a Sports Psychology conference in San Diego with Sabrina in February. I learned many things about mental toughness and being mentally prepared to play sports that I have been able to apply to coaching and teach my players. After the conference we had time to eat authentic tacos on the beach from a small taco stand. Visiting the taco stand is now a tradition every time I visit SD.
My Living Room

In March I moved to my own apartment in Pasadena. I was nervous to live by myself, because I thought I would be lonely, but it has been the best decision I made this year. I love my apartment and my Paris wall mural. I also really like living in Pasadena with my friends close by and the convenient location. 

At the Waffle 
 My friends surprised me at the Waffle in Hollywood for my birthday in April. I did not expect to see Sofia, Jennie, or Maureen at the restaurant with Sabrina and Erin and it was a fun afternoon to celebrate turning 26. The funniest part of the meal was when my friends ordered mimosas and the waiter was confused because I ordered a milk. Typical me!
Golf

In May I picked up my golf clubs again and renewed my interest in golf. I like having a non-softball related hobby, plus, now I have friends who play. I still have a lot of practice to do, but I always welcome any excuse to wear a polo shirt.
My sister played her first softball game in June. I was really happy and excited that she said she wanted to tryout and I did my best not to force anything on her. She played on the Livewires and it seems like she had a good time. I got to watch a few games in HMB and it was a whole family affair. My dad helped coach, and Kristin kept score. At times like these I wish I lived a little closer. 

Beer Garden in Munich
 In July I went to Munich for a European reunion. I stayed with Vanessa and got to see Kookie for a few days, which was great because I hadn't seen her since 2009. Christina joined and all of us road tripped to Switzerland for a Devil reunion. My two week vacation in Europe was the highlight of my entire year. I realized that traveling makes me feel free and that I am really fortunate to have friends living all over the world.

Versailles
I spent the first week of August in Paris. Christina and I took the train from Switzerland and we met up with some friends staying in our same hostel. It was a week of eating all the chocolate croissants I possibly could, seeing cathedrals, walking through museums, taking the metro, and shopping. Our day trip to Versailles was my favorite part of the trip.
Go Bruins!
 In September all of my friends tailgated at the UCLA football game at the Rose Bowl. Sabrina BBQ'd tacos and it was the perfect way to end the summer and bring in the fall. I think we spent more time on the golf course partying than we did watching the actual game.
Orange October

Orange sums up the month of October. It seemed like I was constantly in my Giants gear cheering on the team long distance. It was so exciting (nerve wracking!?!?) watching the Giants win their second World Series championship in three years. Every out counted during the playoffs and the Giants won in 4 straight games. History for sure. I can't wait for Opening Day!

RR
In November my sister turned 9! Can you believe it? RR got an American Girl doll and she named her Savannah. 

I spent a week in December at home for the holidays with my family. It was nice to relax and enjoy vacation in HMB. Vanessa flew in on Christmas Day and we have been hanging out in Pasadena for the past couple of days. This is the first time we have seen each other twice in one year. No complaints.

Looking back, I am noticing that my year was full of friends, family, and sports. I seem to have my priorities in order.

I don't have any New Year's Resolutions this year but I am going to continue to "Do One Thing A Day That Scares Me." My motto hasn't failed me yet. In 2013 I am also going to try to keep this in mind: "Live your life, take chances, be crazy. Don't hesitate because right now is the oldest you've ever been and the youngest you'll ever be again." I am looking forward to more adventures and growth. I am not going to accept anything less than awesomeness in the new year.

Happy New Year Everyone! Lucky number 20-13 is going to be bright.

1 comment:

  1. I so love your blog and look forward to lots of posts from you in 2013 ~ happy new year!

    ReplyDelete