This weekend I went down to San Diego to accept my award at the California Film Awards. I really had no clue what to expect about the event and it turned out a much bigger deal that I anticipated.

My favorite thing about driving to San Diego is passing through San Clemente where I some day want to live in this big white house on the hill. I have talked about it before, but I picked this house out as my future home when I was 16.
My house is the one in the middle with the columns.
I stayed with my friend Alex in San Diego. Poor guy was sick with a bad cold, so he didn't feel up to going to the awards dinner with me. I appreciated his hospitality anyway!
Sooo... the actual awards. The banquet was held at the Bahia Resort in Mission Bay. It was too bad it was dark because the resort is right on the water and I could tell the grounds were really pretty.
I was surprised how many legit film makers and people with actual film dreams were in the room. I felt like I fit in because I knew I had worked hard on my project, but at the same time I really didn't fit in because everyone was talking about their producers and budget, cast and crew, and I was a one women show who was just trying to graduate. In one person's speech he said that you don't have to go to film school to win a film award, and it made me laugh because I am living proof of that.
After the awards ceremony (which took forever with all the speeches, some more amusing than others) they took pictures of everyone with their awards on the mini red carpet. Pretty cool.
Me with my Gold Level award in the Student Category.
Here I am with a fellow student winner. He was telling me about how hard film school was for him and how stressed out his movie made him, and then he felt like an idiot because I made a movie and won an award with no film experience or qualifications. I laughed with him because I wasn't sure how to take it that comment.
Now, I am going to look for a frame for my award. I never imagined Dear Devils would be known for anything outside my personal circle, but clearly that is not the case anymore.
Checking making an award winning documentary off my Bucket List.
Congratulations Claire! Great job, great post! Hope you will have a room for us in that big white house someday!!!
ReplyDelete