My friend Benz has been encouraging me to come check out her Friday night ultimate frisbee league for a few weeks now, so Nina and I decided to see what it was all about tonight. I have never officially played ultimate frisbee before with like rules and stuff, more like just messing around with different softball teams on light practice days. Ultimate frisbee is all running and it was a workout!

When we showed up Benz and a few of her friends filled us in on the rules and some techniques. I never knew there were so many ways to throw a frisbee. It was funny because out of the 25 people there, about 7 were ex-college softball players, all pitchers. When we were "warming up" the girls would give me tips like "throw the frisbee like a curve instead of a screw," words I could relate to.

Turns out ultimate is more like football instead of soccer. There is a kick off and an end zone, and once you have caught the frisbee you have to pass and you can't take any steps. This pick up game was nice because it was a good combination of beginners and people who knew the game and had played for 20 years. (One guy said he had been playing ultimate frisbee for 20 years, I had no idea the sport had even been around for that long because it became kind of a fad on college campuses while I was in college.)
I had a good time, but Nina and I were freeeeezing. It was 75 degrees today but as soon as the sun went down the temp dropped and I felt the cold air burning my lungs. Hadn't felt that since snowy practices in Towson. It was fun to try something new and if I am free on Friday nights I'll probably go back. Good excuse to be outside and be social.
No comments:
Post a Comment