Thursday, October 25, 2012

More Questions

I met a Dominican Nun today and I think she was the youngest Nun I have ever seen (besides Maria in the Sound of Music). She couldn't have been much older than me and she is a Spanish teacher. She was really nice and eager to talk to people and find out about their jobs. She went to college at Stanford and then was sent to LA on her mission to teach.

I really like people who are excited about what they are doing and I have a respect for people who are passionate for what they believe in and this made me enjoy talking to the Nun (I should have done the polite thing and asked her name). I realized though that after we were done chatting, I had more questions for her than when we started and I wished I knew how to talk to her about her lifestyle. She was extremely well educated and I wanted to know when she decided to take her vow and why. I am curious about the specific beliefs of the Dominicans because the only Sisterhood (is that the right term!?!?) that I am familiar with are the Sisters of Mercy who ran my high school.

Religion is interesting, but I thought it is supposed to make life seem more clear instead of creating more questions and gray areas? I need to do some research and thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment