Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Lido

The island of Lido is the best kept secret in Venice. Lido has tourists, but you are much more likely to hear Italian than English on the island than in San Marco's Square. Lido is lined with private beaches and cabanas that are pretty much empty, and one public beach that is packed.

Syd and I took the ferry this morning and got a front row umbrella on the beach. We relaxed, people watched, and you can also see big cruise lines and ships come into the harbor. We ate pizza on the beach for lunch from the buffet snack bar.



This afternoon, Syd and I rented a paddle boat with a slide. So much fun and totally worth the 15 euro! We paddled around the beach for an hour and slashed around on our slide. The water wasn't very deep so even about 100 yards out you could still stand up in the water.

Now we are back in our hotel and I am thinking about napping before dinner. We are going to Rome tomorrow morning and have to catch an early water taxi to the train station.




I have enjoyed visiting Venice, because the city is so unique on the water and it is fun wondering around the allies, but the tourism makes it borderline unpleasant. The canals are also much dirtier than I remember, and at one point Syd saw a hypodermic needle floating around. Gross. I feel like you can't come to Italy without seeing Venice, but I think next time I will take the ferry directly to a hotel on Lido and enjoy the Italian Riviera.

No comments:

Post a Comment