Tuesday, July 2, 2013

We found a Beach!

The Grand Canal
We did a couple touristy things in Venice this morning like walking around the canals and checking out the open air markets, but I read online that the island of Lido across from Venice has beaches. For Californian's the only real vacation happens at a beach so we decided to go out on a whim an look for the Venice beaches.








The Island of Lido
We took the water taxi/subway across the bay to Lido and then walked down the main street. The island is probably less than a mile wide. We found a public beach that for a couple of Euros you can rent two lounge chairs and an umbrella. We happily sat down for the afternoon and enjoyed the sun.









The Beach
I managed to not get sunburned, which is a great accomplishment because I saw a lot of red people with leathery skin. The Europeans don't seem to be worried about skin cancer at all.











Enjoying Gelato
Tomorrow I think we will go back to the beach for the day. There is a restaurant and they serve drinks to your chair. I also saw paddle boats with slides and it is my goal to convince Syd to rent one with me. The water is really warm so I am looking forward to sliding into the Adriatic Sea.







3 comments:

  1. Liking, Liking your travel reports. I hope you get to swim in the Mediterranean! -- Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is taking all these pictures of you two? Have you gotten aggressive about asking strangers to take a photo? I kind of miss the close-up self-portraits on the iPhone...
    PS You can go to the beach in California! Get yourselves to a cathedral or museum or something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Lucy: Geography mistake, I mean the Adriatic.

    ReplyDelete