Wednesday, June 19, 2013

St. Gallen

St. Gallen is my favorite city in the world so I have been really excited to share it with Sydney. We took the train from Nadja's house this morning into the city and it was a perfect day for sight seeing.




We walked around the old city a little bit, and of course we headed for the cathedral right away. I love the twin steeples and the courtyard in front.















The cathedral is currently under construction inside and at first I was disappointed, but then I realized it was actually cooler because they opened up the alter that is usually surrounded by a gold fence. I had never been back there before. We got to see the alter's paintings up close and also sit in the special chairs for the important priests.

The crypt under the alter was also open. When I found this out I was really pleased with my choice of day to visit. I didn't even know the cathedral had a crypt.


A few stair beneath the alter, we found a sanctuary devoted to St. Gallen and also a three graves of important people. I don't know much about St. Gallen himself so it looks like I will need to look him up and learn some history. It kind of looked like he might have been buried there too but then again, my German skills aren't the best.














After seeing the new things in the cathedral, we went to the Rietmann Deli for lunch, a tradition when I go to St. Gallen. I got a schnitzelbrot and Syd got a schnitzelbrot and a sausage. The lady was really surprised when he ordered both, but Syd is determined to try and much meat as he can while he is in Switzerland and Germany. 


We ate lunch on a bench in front of the church and as hoped, Syd loved his meal. He said that he already fell in love with one Rietmann, so how could he not? Aww.

Nice day in the city and it is exactly how I remember it. Peaceful and homey. I love the laid back feeling I have when I am in Switzerland. I need to figure out how to transfer that into my regular life.

No comments:

Post a Comment